Riddles are a fun way to get your kids to think. They challenge their preconceived notions and make them think creatively. Not only that but teaching your children riddles can help with reading comprehension. Plus they’re fun. Giving your kids easy riddles makes them problem solve and laugh at the same time. From a parent’s perspective that’s tough to beat.
Two Types Of Riddles
There are two types of riddles.
The first one is referred to as an enigma riddle.
The enigma riddle is a problem that requires creative thinking and imagination to discover the answer.
An example of an enigma riddle would be, “What is brown, has a head and tail but no legs?” A penny.
The second riddle type is called conundra. A conundra riddle relies on puns or wordplay to come up with an answer.
A sample conundra riddle is, “What is the longest word in the dictionary?” Smiles, because there is a mile between the s’s.
53 Easy Riddles For Kids With Answers
- I am so simple yet I guide people all over the world. What am I?
2. What has a neck but no head?
3. If a brother, his sister, and a dog under the umbrella why don’t they get wet?
It’s not raining.
4. What comes down but never goes up?
5. What begins with an “e” and ends with an “e” but only has one letter?
6. How many months have 28 days?
7. What has one eye but can’t see?
8. If you feed me, I live. If you water me, I die. What am I?
9. What travels around the world but stays in one place?
10. What has 4 eyes but can’t see?
11. What bird can lift the most?
12. What can you hold but not touch?
13. A boy and his father get into a horrible car accident. When they take them to the emergency room the doctor says “I can’t operate on that boy, he’s my son”. How is that possible?
The doctor is his mother.
14. What needs an answer but never asks a question.
15. What can you catch but not throw?
16. What goes up and never comes down?
17. What has 4 legs but can’t walk?
18. What’s full of keys but can’t open any door?
19. What breaks when you say its name?
20. Which letter from the alphabet can hold the most water?
21. What do you have to break before you can use it?
22. What word is spelled wrong in every dictionary?
23. What belongs to you but is used more by other people?
24. What has hands but can’t clap?
25. What happens once in a lifetime, twice in a moment, but never in one hundred years?
The letter M.
26. What has a face, two hands but no arms or legs?
27. What gets wetter as it dries?
28. What starts with a “P”, ends with an “E” and has thousands of letters?
The Post Office.
29. If I have it, I don’t share it. If I share it, I don’t have it. What is it?
30. What begins with a “T”, ends with a “T” and has a “T” in it?
31. What has a head, a foot, and four legs?
32. Where does Friday come before Thursday?
33. The more you have of it, the less you see. What is it?
34. Mark’s father had 3 sons. Two son’s names for Joe and Jimmy. What has the third son’s name?
35. What do you throw out when you want to use it but bring in when you don’t want to use it?
36. If you are in a race and pass the person in 3rd place what place are you in?
37. How much dirt is in a hole 10 feet deep and 5 feet wide?
38. When is a door not a door?
When it’s ajar.
39. What kind of tree can you carry in your hand?
A palm tree.
40. They come out at night and go away during the day without being taken. What are they?
41. What do lazy dogs do for fun?
Chase parked cars.
42. What invention lets you look through a wall?
43. How do you make the number one disappear?
Add a “G” to the front and it’s gone.
44. What nuts can you hang pictures on?
45. What runs but doesn’t walk?
46. How many animals did Moses take on the Ark?
Zero. It was Noah, not Moses.
47. What do you make but can’t see?
48. Margaret’s mother had 3 daughters. Their names were April, May, and …..?
49. What smells better than it tastes?
50. What do you call a fairy that refuses to bathe?
51. What do you throw away the outside, eat the middle, and how away the inside?
Corn on the cob.
52. Two doctors said John was their brother. But John didn’t have any brothers. How is that possible?
The doctors are John’s sisters.
53. Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of rocks?
Neither. They both weigh a pound.
Pin for later!
Hopefully, these easy riddles will help your kids learn in a fun atmosphere.